View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #105
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Atlanta to Nashville, Tuesday, 4 September 2012, Day 92

Lynchburg Jack Daniels Factory[/caption]

Found out last night that Atlanta was not only the birthplace of coke but also of Martin Luther King and that there was a state park and memorial in town so feeling that I should have done this yesterday (should really do more research god knows what other things I may have missed in the last 4 months :-)) this was my first port of call. I need to add the chap who told me about it was also mugged by a large dark fella and relieved of his camera.

So with some trepidation I made my way to the rough side of town fortunately it was early and not too many folk around but when I got there it did not seem the safest place to leave a fully loaded motorcycle with all my current worldly possession on it so took a photograph from the outside punched in Supriya address into the GPS and started of towards Nashville.

Pretty dull day weather dull and overcast scenery nothing special so was a bit bored when I saw a sign to the Jack Daniels Distillery so change of plan quick detour to there. Just as I started to head for the new destinations the heavens opened and it was pissing down I was only a couple of miles away from JD so decided to push on as these rain storms end as quick as they start so when I arrived it had stopped raining but I was sopping wet. There was a tour starting as I walked in so rushed onto that as it was free! Rammed my wet gear in a locker and spent the next hour or so being shown around the distillery. Very interesting strangest fact is that Lynchburg where the distillery is located is in a dry county so they are not allowed to sell their own product there and we could not sample the goods either because of this all they could offer us was a lemonade (Good for me as I am still on the wagon so that a month since I have had a drink promised myself a beer when I get to Houston with John to celebrate the successful completion of the first part of my trip!)

Pulled my wet gear out of the locker and headed for Nashville drying myself as I went along roads and scenery more pleasant than earlier that day and I finally pulled into Supriya driveway not sure at what time as I had lost or gained an hour between Georgia and Tennessee. I had not seen Supriya since I was about 16 so that more than 30 years ago fortunately she had not changed so was able to recognise her :-). Met the family so that was Neal, Rajiv, Maja and the 2 dogs Max and Riley. Straight to dinner table so guessing my timing was out as usual and a pleasant evening getting to know the Patel family :-)
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote