View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #26
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug678 View Post
Cool,

So, is there a outlet for live feed or updates?
Hi Sparkplug!

The Tuareg Rally organisation doesn't have any live tracking facilities as such, although there is nothing to stop riders using their own personal SPOT devices, and I believe that is actually encouraged from a safety point of view... (Unlike at the Dakar, there really isn't the communications infrastructure for subsequent competing teams to intercept tracking data and use it to gain an advantage, nor is that really in the spirit of the event anyway...) Certainly if any of our featured riders are using SPOT, I'll make sure their links and published here in the Tuareg Media thread!

Essentially what I will be doing during the rally itself is specifically supporting those individual riders/teams I've highlighted above by providing them with a personal 'press release' summary of each day/stage - and will typically include an interview/quotes, photos, and I even have the facility to record an audio interview (which I hope can in turn be made available online via Rally Raidio for example?). This will be distributed on their behalf each day, and of course uploaded here in full as part of my own personal daily reporting of events.

Because of the [expected] limited internet and cellular data facilities at each bivouac, I think it is only realistic to expect that these individual reports will have to be collated each evening (after the stage results are published), and be uploaded and online typically by the following morning.

Obviously if there is any real drama, I will endeavour to get the information out remotely and as soon as possible via. twitter and Facebook (jennydakar.com if you are not already a subscriber), and of course anyone following the action via individual competitor's own twitter feeds etc. is encouraged to post the information here too!

Ultimately I am hoping that with a bit of coordination, together with a regular and consistent news feed each day, we can significantly improve on both the quality and consistency of reporting during these non F.I.M. events... and particularly as there are so many ADVrider inmates competing this year, perhaps create a 'blueprint' if you like for future ADV event coverage too - which in turn can only help subsequent competitors gain sponsorship and support in the future?

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 01:26 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote