View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 267
Low Guard/Brake-line Recall 04-05Adventures?

I have seen information on this forum about front wheel lock-up caused by mud and the cross-over brake line/low guard on 04-05Adventures. It happened to me today in the middle of nowhere and all alone (to know me is ta hate me). Lucky 4 me I had the right tools, plenty of water and was traveling rather slowly, hence the bike stayed upright and I was adequately refreshed. I am now officially afraid of this bike. Are KTM gunna wait til someone dies before re-calling/modifying this problem.

After the event I started to think of the numerous times I've been traveling on dirt/gravel roads at speeds well over 100km/h and wondering about the consequences of front wheel lock up. It would only take one rock of the right size to really fuck up ya day.

The first lock up, approx 4k's down the track. Cleaned out mud and went on me merry way.

The second lockup, about 50m from the first one....grrrrrrrrrrrr. As you can see from the pic I only had to make it about 25m to solid ground. So I removed the guard, strapped it to the bike and set off on me merry way again. Wheel locked up within 10m's as the brake-line was locking the front wheel without the guard. Cleaned guard and placed it back on the bike and finally made it to solid ground.

This is all it takes. Not much mud by any stretch of the imagination.

Once I hit solid ground I removed guard and cleaned it again then set off 4 home (about 80km's) with this sense of foreboding that hey maybe the guard has been weakened and any little rock could cause this to happen on the tar at 100+km/h.

It wasn't all bad

Will ring me deala on the morrow and ask him to contact KTM with me concerns. Then I'll ring Dalby Moto and order the high guard mod.

BSTARD screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 02:23 PM
BSTARD is offline   Reply With Quote