View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #169
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
HS#10 Battle of Buffalo Creek HS

This weeks race takes us to south central Florida and the Battle of Buffalo Creek HS. There are actual Buffalo usually on the property and we get to cross a small creek 3-4 times. Haley decided to wait another race while her knee gets better so that left just me racing. Saturdays course was 11 miles.

With the temp in the low40's it was a perfect day for racing. We had 9 guys on the line along with 4 women's A riders as the horn went off and my bike fired in one kick....holeshot!

I'm not sure what got into me but at this point I'm hauling. Making sure the bike is in the right gear and on the pipe has me hearing nothing but silence behind me after the first few miles.

Just as I'm settling in I hit a section of trees with the roots exposed like a spider web. I lose the front, grab a fistful of throttle while trying to recover and go down with a bang to my head from a very mean tree. "D@mn that hurt!" I think as I quickly try and get the bike up and going again. I look back as I take off and still no one coming..I might have gone too fast too soon I realize as let's remember this is a 2hr race!
I slowly get my bearings at the 1/2 way point of the lap. A wrong turn at a reroute has me realizing Marcelo Dadone and Don Chris are back on my tail as we pass through to end the first lap. I'm still in first but not for long.

It's not uncommon to swap places over a 2hr period. Don and soon Marcelo both get by me as my arm pump from leading the first lap has now worked it's way up to my elbows Nothing I can do but try and relax my grip and put the miles behind me. I really learn to hate the section of big sand whoops as my arms scream trying to keep the bars going in the right direction. I trade back and for the with a couple of Senior B riders (#420 Mark Prenoveau) on the 2nd lap and my buddy David Jensen(#8) on the 3rd. I yell "you've got to be kidding me!" when i see we are going out for a 4th lap as the course is really getting beat up. A spectator responds with "we been hearing that a lot"..no kidding. By the 4th lap I decide I really need to push again and 1/2 way through I passed back by Don Chris as he's pulling his bike out of the bushes. Not long after he blows past and I wait to see. Few miles later Don is picking his bike off a section of slick muddy roots and I sneak back by again. I keep hoping he won't realize it's me as every time he does he gets fired up an blows back by! I ended up with the fastest last lap of the class but was to little to late. I ended up in 3rd which was great though and about where I should have finished. Congrats on the win Marcelo!

Super Senior B
Place Bike Number Rider Name Bike Brand City, State Points Scored Promotion Points Counted Laps Elapsed Time
1 15 Marcelo Dadone
HON
Aventura, FL 50 10 4 1:51:43
2 24 Don Chriss
KTM
Orlando, FL 47 5 4 1:52:04
3 117 Troy Stainbrook
KTM
Odessa, FL 45 4 4 1:52:24

4 392 Jack Hatfield
KTM
Trinity, FL 43 3 4 1:55:31