View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #760
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Me no drill crankshaft, not even for many bottles firewater ...

The way it apparently works on the Buell is that there is a "concealed" oil port on the tapered part of the end of the crankshaft and all that is required is to drill an angled hole in the flywheel (at precise alignment & diameter, etc) so that it meters a small amount of oil into the interior cavity of the flywheel cooling the stator ... you send the guy your flywheel he mods it and sends it back and you are supposed to be good to go ... no dinking with the crank. Since the metal being removed is so close to centerline of flywheel and not much material maybe balance is not affected, or maybe the Buell guy re-balances ...

So question I that I was trying to ask but didn't phrase real well was:

Q: For any twin owners that have had the flywheel off the end of the crank, have you SEEN an existing oil hole along the tapered section where the flywheel mounts? I really doubt it exists on our bikes, but if it did ... that would be way cool............. for the stator... and a cheap fix for us....

I've got the voltage monitor ... and hope stator would fail slowly, giving me time to plan repairs ... but am planning long trip for this summer and don't want to lug along a spare stator nor get caught 100 miles from civilization with dead battery ... just kinda annoying... for trail riding the RAT may not be a match for my skills... and pac-man may not like the terrain... I may be back to the bike-generator......

I'll see if I can at least get us each a rocket!

Well... it's 5PM EST .......

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 02:19 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote