Occasional tiny electrical woes with my 2011 990 have finally leveled up to become very annoying: with the ignition turned on I get a normal gauge sweep, followed by ODO 000000 miles, 12 flashing temp bars, oil pressure light, coolant light, and ABS light. She fires right up, but the tach needle remains at the 6 o'clock position, the temp bars and coolant light remain on, and the oil light doesn't go away. Two days ago this bike exhibited none of these symptoms and this is the first time I've ever seen them.
Possibly related: in the middle of a trip last year I replaced her stock battery (which was not charging, and died every cold night) with a crummy Walmart one as a field expedient repair. This battery has functioned mostly well, except for also having cold sensitivity, until the last month or two where I'd get a random dead battery if she wasn't run for a few days. I'd been nursing the problem along by leaving the battery tender connected and it was pretty reliable. Last week I left it off the tender for a few days and the battery was flat; I charged it just enough to get started up, rode a couple hundred miles, and experienced no further problems throughout the week as I rode to work and back.
This morning I was mounting up to ride, disconnected the tender, heard the noise of the gauge sweep before turning the key (my gloves were covering the cluster so I didn't see it), turned the key and hit the red switch and I see normal indications, full tach sweep, then 0 RPM, 0 miles, 12 temp bars, coolant and oil lights. The speedo reads 0 except during engine start when it jumps through the numbers up to 27 or so then back down to zero.
So far I have disconnected everything behind the dashboard one by one in an attempt to fault isolate, I've found no wires chaffed through the insulation despite a thorough flashlight inspection all along the loom in the front of the bike, I've checked every fuse, I've examined the starter relay assembly with no visible corrosion/breakage, and I've taken the multimeter to the battery both when off (13.0) and running (14.35) and made zero progress.
Tomorrow I'm going to purchase a replacement battery of actual OEM spec (since the walmart version, despite being the same physical size is actually rated about half of the CCAs, and has failed me multiple times) but I expect that no change will be made. I found several threads about electrical gremlins, and the only one that seems like it might be my problem is here
but obviously it is not really helpful.