View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
Petrol tank woes

so BMW in their wisdom put out a service fix for the nut that holds the rubber bush on that the petrol tank slides onto to be thread locked.

I winced when he told me it had been done after taking my bike in for a new front tire a couple of months ago, as I have never had issue with this bolt, and have removed and done it up myself quite a few times without issue. I did not have a good feeling about it.

Today, fixing the petrol leak issue, I am paying the price of their service fix.

The nut would not come off the stud end, but the thread it is stuck to is turning on the other end, so I cannot get the nut and washer off. To get the petrol tank back on, in my experience, it is necessary to remove the large metal washer as it does not allow the tank to be pushed forward enough for the lower screw hole to line up for the bolt to be put in. The washer can then be put back in place and pushed on with the nut winding in.

Having backward pressure on the tank while trying to get the main bolt started in its thread, churns the start of the threads. If it stuffs up the frame thread, you are big time stuffed, and it looks like that is starting to happen.

With no other option I have ground the side of the washer down to allow the petrol tank enough forward movement to be able to line the holes up to insert the main bolt.

of course, its never simple. Taking the breathing pipe off for the third time today the white plastic breathing tube snapped off at the base....

I am spewing. Very pissed off with this. With the day going from bad to worse I packed everything up to tackle another day.

My warning to you is do not let them thread lock this nut. Unless you have had not issues with getting the tank holding bolts back in without removing the front washer first.

The ground washer to allow forward movement for the tank

The offending hole that is all but impossible to line up without washer removal

The offending bolt in a previous operation, prior to 'service fix' going in nicely with front washer removed

Now broken breather pipe!

If anyone has any suggestions for this GS Adventure issue, please let me know.
How do you Adventure guys get the tank back on and the lower bolt in ?

The Other JC screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 01:20 AM Reason: errors
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote