View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
The bars will last more than one drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
sure but at 300 bucks just the upper part and 300 the lower part I'm not so sure of their utility. I mean they mainly are supposed to protect the plastics when you have a drop but I think your plastics are around the samre price
The crash bars are meant to be used over and again, meaning you may drop it many times over a number of years and they should still work but clearly just one good drop will crack plastic and the rad is close by.

I bought the engine crash bars when I bought my bike because at the time, Aug 2012, there were no bars available for the 2013 F800GS - certainly not on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. It wasnt what I wanted, I specified that I wanted solid crash bars to the sales girl at (edit:i removed the dealer name) and she assured me that these are great. They are not
The Touratech or BMW bars look great but they do not protect the upper plastic and the first time I just let the bike over while stopped (it stalled on a grass hill as I was turning into a campsite) the bars bent in and made contact with the clutch cover. They do not seem to be really solid to me. I bent them back out a millimeter with a good solid pull and later a little more with a lever.
So I am in a similar position, as I am undecided whether to buy the $300 upper bars from Touratech or dump the engine bars and get a new crash bar complete.
I emailed Touratech and asked about the durability of the upper bars and they said there are too many variables to say but the bras have been used in the GS Trophy and said they worked well. It's difficult to say what that means but I'm thinking that perhaps the upper bar mounts solidify an otherwise not so solid setup.
I told the sales girl at (edit: removed the dealer name) about the bars bending and she replied they are designed to be bent back. Hmmmm.

OFA screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 09:00 AM
OFA is offline   Reply With Quote