Brilliant! That's exactly what I ended up doing. Bent the tip of an old screwdriver, grabbed the end with a big channel lock, and tapped on the channel lock while working around the inside perimeter of the seal. Now, I just gotta wait for my new parts to get here.
In the mean time, I've started digging into my instrument panel lights. The bulbs all appear fine - which means the wiring is hosed. I already had to fixed some botched wiring to get the tail light to work, looks like I gotta dig out the wiring schematic again.
I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I want to know if the bike is overheating. Especially since I'm going to be messing with the jets.