Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
Versys or Terra/Strada!
Hi Rick the Terra/Strada is outside my price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
You've just described an Africa Twin with road tyres.
Yes a modern A/T would be great - pity they are all at the high maintenance stage of their lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
What about a scrambler?

Edit - prob doesn't fit any criteria but looks cool.
I love the scambler and would presumably feel the same about a thruxton or bonnie but they have shit suspension and the 1.5-2k it would cost to sort the suspenders out would push them out of my price range. Lovely bikes though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
DR650 mate.......

You know thats wot u need!

Shoulda had onea them all along you know!

Its ok to admit ur wrong, even ok for a guy to cry.......go on......

Youll feel sooo much betterer!

when I first got interested in adv riding I asked my local mechanic about DR650's and he said they were shit (he obviously didnt know shit - but I didnt know any better) . So I went and brought a totally inappropriate XT660X. I'm sure I would have been happy on a DR but it will never be the road bike the klr is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswaid View Post
Could try to find a used Tiger 800. I have been seeing them pop up lately.
In NZ they are still way outside my budget ($14k+ used) but awesome bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
What about..... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-526269328.htm

Or...... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-518030187.htm

Both above your budget, but think of the grin factor
In particular the KTM SMT appeals but a tidy one is $15k. I might go ask for a test ride on the tard me one tomorrow

I'd love to try the Aprillia as well but I'd worry about the reliability and spares (probably unnecessarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Hearing ya Marks, been going through a similar experience myself except my KLR has stopped breaking everything. All I can come up with at the moment is Padmeis choice of a Scrambler, but then I think that I would just wreck it so a dedicated roadbike to stop me going offroad would be the way, but I just can't bring myself to do that .

Jatzs choices look about what you need.
My days of beating the klr up off road are done but unfortunately I'm still suffering the consequences of my actions. A fresh KLR might be an option if it had better brakes and a bit more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Hi Mark

How about a Kawasaki W650 like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-567321445.htm
Hi Stephen - I love the looks of the W650 - problem is they seem a bit insipid/boring (I've never ridden one so I don't really know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
which nicely illustrates the fact that no ktm v twin that is worth owning is within my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
nice bike - hadn't even considered it - might see if I can find one to ride if I don't like the cheaper Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bitch View Post
Try this. Just missing on price & H/P, but otherwise right on target..
Don't try and unload your own fantasies on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Nice looking bike - airheads are cool to ride but I want to ride not wrench...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
The Bonnie/Thruxtons are ok but you would need to upgrade the shocks adn fit emulators to the front end. Brakes are adequate. Mates rode my Thruxton and were surprised by how heavy it felt. It was on TM a few weeks back for about 7k. High K's but a good bike.
I just bought cheap R100RTmono so looks like I'll be getting slippers next...
I spent some time on a Scramber both before and after it had aftermarket (YSS) shocks fitted - it was a buckboard and nailed my back before the shocks and was totally transformed afterwards. I know what your mates mean about the weight - its all down low but you still really feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
A mate had a very nice Versys that he spent quite a bit of time sorting suspension on, nothing major just fettling . He rode the wheels off it, went really well & could do a bit of gravel. Motor seemed buzzy & vibey at certain speeds compared to the Scram. Get rid of the standard tyres if you get one, watched him lose both ends in the wet when I was following. I shit , he double shit & put new tyres on the next day.
Good to know - apparently the 2010+ versys's had rubber mounted engines to reduce the buzz - still I can't imagine one being less smooth than the klr.

Thanks everyone (well nearly everyone) for the feedback.

I'll update this thread as I try different bikes.

I did take a R1200ST for a ride last week - beautiful bike and brilliant engine but finding myself doing over 160kph passing a car while wearing no protective gear made me think (which is why I might live longer on a 60hp bike rather than a 110hp bike) ... Also the clip ons didn't really agree with my back and the servo brakes buzzed when used with vigor and felt odd. I'd worry about getting shafted whenever I had to get something looked at by a dealer as well. Still it was awesome to ride and beautifully finished.