View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #384
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I see what your saying. The balance circuit that earthX is using will prevent the kind of over voltage damage that occurs when a series of cells is badly out of balance through shunting from one cell to the next provided that the charging voltage does not exceed normal charging voltage. Yes I agree 100%

But this isn't actual BMS over-voltage protection and will do nothing to stop the whole battery from being destroyed from over-voltage if the charging voltage becomes excessive.

Something not that uncommon on a modern shunt regulated bike with a PM charging system is for the shunt to fail or the shunt ground to go bad. In this case system voltage climbs above 20 volts and even at idle, the F800GS for example has 11 amps of excess current available with all accessories switched off.

In this case the earthX battery is likely to dramatically fail just as any other LiFePO4, or lead/acid battery for that matter because it does not have actual BMS over-voltage protection, nor for that matter does any other LiFePO4 or lead/acid battery for power sports i'm familiar with.

Agreed?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote