View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
A couple of issues I have is why was the original part superseded, what did they change? Was it the content of the metal that allowed the metal to corrode like it did?

The corrosion is definitely under the paint, the paint is bubbled. No matter what I do that cover is going to continue to corrode. Does it need to be replaced now? No, but it's not going to get better.

I doubt I'm going to try to drill/tap the one bolt but I am going to try to remove the bottom bolt stud. If I can get that one out I will most likely just replace the bolt and apply liberal amounts of anti-seize to all the bolts on the cover. I will also remove the 4 bolts on the inner shaft cover (that square black cover in Jim's photo) and give them a good dose of anti-seize, hopefully they're not too seized up already.

Hopefully that bolt stud will come out and I won't feel as bad about putting it back together as it is, if I can't get it out it will be a tougher decision.

I have the Haynes manual and it doesn't look too challenging to replace but neither is it a simple replacement either. Decisions, decisions.

gspdbill screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:21 AM
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote