View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
I want to share one related experience with the larger water pump.

The temperature with my oem 2006 950 always went forth and back between 4 and 5 bars on the display when idling. When summer days got hot (yes, I know this is not Arizona or Africa) the few single days, I saw occassionally 6 bars on the display to my dissatisfaction.

After replacing the motor with a 2009 990SDR (with 28 instead of 25 mm tube on the pump suction) and with the same temperature sensor that I moved from the 950 to the 990, I have never ever seen more than 4 bars on the display!

What else?

The valve clearance on the exhausts in my old 950 changed considerably with need to change the shims one step and sometimes even two each winter service (every approx. 20000 kms = 12.5 kmiles). After two summer seasons with the 990 motor (40000 kms and exactly the same kind of torturing of the motor) I just changed the 4 exhausts shims to one step thinner, but that was a borderline need only.

My conclusion:
The 990 (at least my 2009 990) maintains a much more stable temperature than the 2006 950 did. One consequence is that you hardly need to check the valves. I tend to believe I will get much longer life out of my 990 motor than I did with the 950.

Note: Of some reason KTM went back from 28 mm tube to 25 mm some one or two years after 2009. Just wander why.
I believe there was something wrong with your 950 motor, these temperatures are not normal. Regarding your note, there is an optimum mass flow rate for every rpm region and tube diam regulates just that.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote