View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #7044
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
That's why I changed out the bowls. I have changed jets on the standard XL carbs without removing the carbs from the bike, but it's a bit of a pain taking both the bowls off. With the XR5 bowls it looks like it's just drain the bowl, unscrew the cap, and get a little ratchet on the jet. You're post about your XR carbs inspired this mod actually.

As for the the PH64 carbs, I haven't come across a set of those yet. Someone did a write up of XL carbs in this thread somewhere and I think those ones were from a California model.

I don't know for sure what they fit, they were eBay finds that went cheap enough for me to buy for parts. They are the style that has the fuel screw on the downwind side if the slide. My bike is a cali model that came to me with XR carbs and canister removed already.

I hate to remove the carbs. I have evolved techniques to replace jets, slides, change needle position and jets and emulsion tubes etc. with the carbs in place. The only part yet that I could not do in frame was the decel diaphragm.

I hope most of that is behind me now as I have finally gotten it dialed in as close as I think I can get it. I can adjust for seasonal changes with main jet swaps which are easy with the screw off bowls.
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote