View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #118
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Team Torque Racing travelog...

Well it's been a fun thirty odd hours since leaving the UK yesterday afternoon!

The majority of Team Torque Racing met at Heathrow airport and flew out together yesterday (Tuesday 5th) as the airline had cancelled our original flight on Thursday, and the only option was to come out a couple of days early...

Donna (from Torque Racing) was in optimistic mood before the flight:

The flight arrived in Tunis on time, and TRS had organized a mini-bus for all their riders to transfer to the start of the rally, which was a few hundred kms (or about 5 hours drive) south, in the desert oasis town of Douz...

We overnighted at a hotel about an hour from the airport - none too shabby, especially for [just] 20 a night!

The following morning we took a leisurely drive south, planning to do the tourist thing en route at the coastal town of Gabes...

Lunch at a roadside restaurant:

Gabes was not exactly the chic resort we expected:

So we headed inland and into the desert to Douz... as an aside, when I raced the Oilibya du Tunisie in 2010, the rally finished in Douz, and it turns out the Tuareg was booked into the same hotel I had stayed at before!

As you can see it is none too shabby either, and fortunately it would appear to have a reasonably decent wifi connection - so fingers crossed I'll be able to update you regularly while we are here.

A number of teams have arrived early too, and the car-park contains quite a collection of race vehicles already! - I've spotted Tony Schattat's WR, and Ed's KTM 300 amongst the motos...

Our team bikes should be arriving at some point tomorrow evening, in time for scrutineering on Friday.

I imagine this the calm before the [sand?] storm so to speak, as the hotel is likely to be heaving tomorrow night as the riders and assistance crews all converge on the Sahara Hotel throughout the day...

It's going to be a whole heap of fun, that's for sure!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote