View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #544
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Wingman

Hey eveRide - Friends coming in from Hawaii to ride. Very nice. Let me know when this is all happening. If I'm around I'll try and get free. I'll be leaving town for about 10 days (school break). Back in later March. Typically, my easiest days for riding are weekdays, about 10 am after kid is to school. Some rides on weekends, but this is usually family time.

So, good areas to ride . . .
1) Toroweap. It is a long ride (all day) and you need to plan for gas. But, the view of the Grand Canyon is first class. Riding to and from is lots of fast dirt. Scenic, but not overwhelmingly interesting. On page one I have an index of rides. Post #92, page 7. This will at least give you an idea.

Toroweap is more a "destination" for your buddies from out of town who probably haven't been there before.

2) Anything leaving Navajo Drive in Bloomington and gaining elevation. Best is to look over the Virgin River Gorge, then drop down onto the Mojave Desert Scenic Backway (dirt). Exit to pavement on old Highway #91, either by Shivwits Indian Reservation or on backside of Utah Hill near AZ. Post #44 on page 3.

You can make the Navajo Drive rides anywhere from 2 hours to most of the day. Lots of loops and variations possible. Generally no need for gas. Good views and good riding. No threat of mud. Toroweap ride near Mount Trumbull likely still quite muddy.

I was on the AZ Strip near Oak Grove yesterday and it was very muddy. Burned up too much time. Couldn't get out to Twin Points without running up against the clock.

3) Last area is probably still too early in the season. Major mud threat (possible snow banks on north slopes). Area around Upper Enterprise Reservoir. Post #443, page 30. Pinnacles. Good variety of dirt road/tracks in this area. Better in Spring, Summer or Fall.

We should be looking to organize a few St. George area inmate rides . . . April and May are good riding months!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote