View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Samedi 13 Octobre

Here we goooooo! Start the day with a special stage on the Alès racetrack. The sun is shinning the air is crisp....I'm excited. We get one sighting lap and one warmup lap before I line up for the start at the back of the grid. The red lights go out and the Ducati (and me) gets a great start..... I'm thru the whole grid by the first turn! Wow! It rattles me a little, makes me doubt my judgement of my speed and half the field goes flying past me. I love this track! But the Ducati has a weird problem. I discover it at the end of the straight when I grab the brakes and the front end starts to chatter violently. I almost miss the turn, ouf, what the hell? OK so I guess I'm going to have to brake earlier. Meanwhile more riders are catching me, oh man this just won't do. I guess I'm going to have to corner faster to make up for my loss of braking! I'm getting the hang of the track and except for the issue with the brakes I'm having a BLAST!

At the end of the day in Toulon at the service pavilion I discover the cause of the chatter. It seems a result of putting the frame slider's to use on the second day, has caused the top engine mounting bolt to come loose! And since the engine is part of the rear suspension and part of the frame too, well, you get the picture!

After the racetrack fun it's direction Toulon on the coast of the Mediterranean. Beautiful super windy roads lots of little villages and then we start climbing up a spectacular mountain. It looks vaguely familiar almost lunar like. Completely swept clean of any vegetation. It dawns on me from my interest in the Tour de France, hey, this is the famed Mont Ventoux!

fredgilb screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 10:37 AM
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote