View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Pics and Details of the 2012 Zero DS

Here are some detailed pictures of the DS if you have not seen one in the wild.

Fast Ace suspension components allow for decent suspension performance and good adjustability. The motor is AC Brushless.

There is no transmission. The motor is directly coupled to a belt final drive. This makes for a very smooth and silent final drive. I had belt drive on my Buells and HD and like it. I hope it holds up to some dirt use.

I like the style. Not everyone agrees.

Dual sport tires provide decent traction in the loose stuff and nice manners on the road. The rear wheel is a 16" which will be really limiting in terms of what rubber can go on it. The 2013 Zeros have more standard wheel, tire sizes.

The charge port is in a dumb location for a DS machine. I cut off a power cord plug and put it in the socket when riding to keep it clean. Again, the 2013 models moved this to a more logical location. The on board charger lives here.

Cool mirrors. Nice view of elbow. Typical of most motorcycles.

Instrumentation is simple. GRN light tells you it is on. Turn on the key, put up kickstand, release kill switch, twist throttle and go.

Nice little details like the logo on the seat.

Slim profile.

The frame is a work of art. Absolutely beautiful. Same for the swing arm.

Brakes are single disc front and rear Hayes, as in Mtn bike fame. The rear brake doesn't get a lot of use as the motor provides regenerative braking. Braided steel brake lines are a nice touch.

Zero Force 9KiloWatt battery box. The heart of the bike and weight is here.

Belt Drive

Long Travel suspension.

I had Big Twin add some hand guards and a windshield for cold weather morning commutes here in Idaho.

Charging at work.

Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote