View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #208
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,092
Tony's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #87 Tony Schattat

After a long day preparing his own bike and helping his Macad team-mates solve various mechanical and electric problems prior to scrutineering, Tony was looking forward to just getting out and riding a competitive stage.

Prior to this event, Tony had completely rebuilt his original Yamaha WR450F rally bike, and made a number of improvements to the [fuel] weight distribution, together with a completely new cockpit featuring his latest RNS navigation equipment.

“It was definitely a tough day today. The sand was incredibly soft at certain points - every time you get stuck, you have to throw it on it’s side and drag it out - I must have picked up the bike at least thirty times!”

“The bike worked very well, although about half way through it felt like I picked up a gearbox problem between 1st and 2nd gear - although that may just be the way I was shifting when in the dunes, as the water tank is very close to [the toe of] my boot.”

“Compared to racing in the sand in Abu Dhabi (in 2010), the dunes seem to be much softer here”
he continues - “I’m looking forward to tomorrow - we’ll be heading north away from these dunes and following more pistes. I had no issues with navigating [via the gps] today, but there will be more detailed navigation tomorrow - so I will have to follow the roadbook more cautiously as the possibility of getting lost increases.”

Stage result: not available at this time

Overall position: not available at this time

#87 Tony Schattat - safely back in the bivouac after a tough first day in the dunes:

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 05:18 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote