View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #209
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,268
Mark's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #76 Mark Brincat

This is Mark’s first desert rally, and the first time riding in sand on the big KTM 690 Rallye Replica bike.

“It was ok on the [general] going - the problem was in the dunes” he begins. “You couldn’t really tell what was soft and what was hard - you’d be going along and suddenly the bike would just dig in, or if your body was slightly in the wrong position, again it would dig in - and it was really very hard to predict what would happen” he explains.

“There were four sets of dunes, and as the day progressed and it got warmer, so each successive dune got more difficult. “I eventually completed the first lap, but decided at that point I should conserve my energy for the rest of the rally - so elected to return to the bivouac and take the time penalty for the second half.”

“I still really enjoyed myself though” he smiles “I didn’t get stuck all that many times, but when I did, it took a lot [of time and effort] to get going again. “So I just took my time, and ended up stopping every so often to rest on the top of a dune.”

“I have to admit there was one quite embarrassing moment heading into one of the checks - I went over a dune and the bike just stopped and through me over the bars... so I ended up sliding my way into the checkpoint!”

Stage result: not available at this time

Overall position: not available at this time

#76 Mark Brincat - First time in sand for Mark on the big 690RR:
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote