View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #210
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
Ned's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #97 Ned Suesse - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

Baja 1000 racer and Dakar 2012 finisher Ned Suesse must be one of very few riders today who genuinely enjoyed the conditions of this soft and sandy special stage. “I didn’t think it was too bad - I’m not saying it wasn’t difficult, it was certainly hard and technical... but then I like hard and technical!” he laughs “So I’d agree it was tough - I just think some riders must have a different definition of what is ‘good’ and what’s ‘bad’...”

Certainly Ned’s choice of bike - a KTM 505 XC-F Enduro bike fitted with a lightweight ‘Rally Moto’ fairing assembly and oversized gas tank - meant it was far more nimble than many of the other [larger] machines who’s riders correspondingly struggled in the dunes.

“This bike is just so much fun” he says with a huge grin. “It has a lot more power than my [450cc] Dakar bike” he explains - “I’d come into something, and knew immediately that if I’d been on the 450 I’d be stuck here... but with the 505 you can just wind it on and it simply ploughs through.”

Having completed the course in a more than respectable time, Ned is confident that he was able to navigate to each waypoint and control, despite his concern about the accuracy of the paper roadbook. “The riding was fun, and the route was excellent - but I’m not sure you could have completed today’s stage without relying [heavily] on the GPS to direct you... whereas I’m more accustomed to using a GPS to simply confirm a decision [I've] made from the roadbook” he explains.

Ned Suesse is part of the US rally team supported by Rally Management Services and If You See Kay Wines during the Tuareg Rally.

Stage result: not available at this time

Overall position: not available at this time

#97Ned Suesse - really enjoyed the 505 in the dunes:
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote