View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #212
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Jean-Luc's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #317 Jean-Luc Solans - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

Jean-Luc smiles as he recounts how his fellow IYSK team-mate Ned Suesse “Must have had twice the day I had - since he passed me on his second lap before I even managed to finish my single round!”

This is Jean-Luc’s first desert rally, and he admits he did struggle with the conditions onboard the big KTM 690, particularly in the soft sand. “The rear end of the bike would dig all too often” he explains [/i]“Followed by having to lay the bike down to extract it, again, all too often!”[/i]

Despite the struggle in the heat and sand, clearly Jean-Luc was enjoying himself “There is an advantage to being slower - because there is a lot to learn - to follow the GPS, read the roadbook, and to look for the easiest way through the dunes - so there was plenty to ponder at every turn” he grins.

“The start was incredible! - and so very exhilarating to be in the middle of that [mass start], - although I resisted the pressure to try and get ahead of anyone, and fortunately the group spread out quickly.”

Having also elected to take a time penalty today and conserve his energy for the rest of the race, Jean-Luc is certainly looking forward to the following days, that will leave the dunes behind after another potentially difficult section on day two: “The roadbook says there will be 25kms of fesh-fesh tomorrow” he reveals “I just hope I am able to get [up] some speed and keep moving, otherwise I may be in trouble! “Ultimately though, I am just here to learn, to see if I am physically capable of riding in rally raid - after today, I feel maybe I’m 80% there... I hope that will improve during the week!”

Jean-Luc Solans is part of the US rally team supported by Rally Management Services and If You See Kay Wines during the Tuareg Rally. He is also personally supported by Talend.

Stage result: not available at this time

Overall position: not available at this time

#317 Jean-Luc Solans and team-mate Ned Suesse compare roadbook notes:
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote