View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
The end is near! We pull into Toulon. A big city....... with traffic! Whoa. I feel like a visitor from a different dimension. Our paddock village is right on the water.

Jean-Philiipe getting a little mouth to mouth resuscitation, we are in France after all.

So we have a few hours to relax, eat, fix, wander then it's the infamous Mont Faron hill climb at night. My start time is 23:20. I was asked when my start time was, I replied "almost tomorrow". This is a stage they use every year. But it's the first time they've run it at night. The other little bit of trivia is that it's the only stage you can't reckie beforehand because it's a one lane road run backwards from the everyday direction.
Here's a great video of Alex Busquets setting the second fastest time in 2010 in daylight. I wish I had seen this before we had to do it at night.

Time to get those mangled LED cornering lights pointed in the right direction.
I'm biting my tongue. I built this bike myself so it was hard for me to step back and let the students do their thing. OK guys, I trust you to get those lights working so I don't drive off the mountain tonight. I asked a rider who had ridden last year if he didn't think it was a little crazy to do the Mont Faron at night.
"Oh no, it's much better, you won't be able to see how far down the drop might be!"

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 07:55 PM
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote