View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #135
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964

As all the Year #1 Riders heard.....over and over again from me......make sure your bike is ready to go. Go through your bike, as if you are about to run the Baja 1000.

Ironically, I had the only bike failure. On day #6, I began to have the steering on my XR650R freeze up.....and it happened over a couple of big passes. Once we got to Fairplay, 'Bama John help we dive into the steering stem. We knew my riding was over when bearing parts fell out on the ground.

When I told this story to a fellow Big Red Pig rider, he opened up his steering stem and his bearings were completely dry and "by feel" (as with my bike), the steering seemed perfectly ok.

This weekend the boys and I dove into our bikes, checking all the bearings. I also check the valve clearances (and they were very tight) and added a new spark plug. Then there was the oil and filter change...etc, etc...

This is my first bit of encouragement to dive into your bikes and make sure you don't have a very disappointing experience as I did. This is a good time of the year to go through your bike!!!!!

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote