View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
RogueSatchmo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
To the Southwest and back

I have been trying to plan out my trip for a while now and I want to get some more input here. I am going on a 2-3 week trip to the southwest. This is my last trip before I hit active duty in July so I want to have the best time before I hit the "real world". I am riding a 99 KLR650 and this will be my first big trip on a bike. I will be camping out as much as possible, possibly using the tent space thread to get some spots if I can't make it to a National Park. I will be doing a lot of off roading and don't mind taking back roads to get there.

My route (main points really)
-SE Kansas to Colorado
-Great Sand Dunes National Park, 2 days
-through Rio Grande National Forest
-Hit up Durango, CO and the trails there, 2 days
-Head to Mesa Verde NP
-Shiprock AZ
-Hit Antelope Canyon and Glenn Canyon NATL Rec Area, 2 days
-Also going to hit Natural Bridges NP and the back road to there, Mutaki Overlook(SP?), been there twice already and I love visiting there.
-Head to Zion NP- Spend 2-3 days there
-Thru Dixie NTL forest and Bryce Canyon NP
-Capitol Reef/ Glenn Canyon NTL rec area and I am going to hit Burr Trail, I hear it's great. Spend a 2 days there
-Then head over to Moab UT and Arches NP, White Rim trail is on the list, anything else?

At this point I am feeling the end of my must visit locations, and I am looking for anything else to visit. I might just head to Colorado and hit up Rocky Mountain NP and go thru some back roads to get there.

I am completely open to info, suggestions and other help. Thanks!

-Joe

RogueSatchmo screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 07:25 PM
RogueSatchmo is offline   Reply With Quote