View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #118
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
In the GE "Tools" menu under "Options..." on the "3D View" tab, you can set GE to use any of four Lat/Lon formats. But if you paste a set of coordinates into the GE "Search" box, it figures out what format you pasted and takes you to the correct spot, even if you've set GE to use a different format. So, GE is pretty smart in figuring out what you used. I think the setting in Tools>Options>3D View is what GE uses when it shows you coordinates, such as your cursor position and the coordinates shown in an Edit Placemark dialog box.

To see GE interpret multiple formats, one at a time copy each of these coordinates and paste them into the GE search box. You'll see all three are the same exact spot, and GE correctly interprets each of them even though they are in different formats. But they have to be in these exact formats, or very close, else GE will not be able to interpret them.

37.047867° -113.754133° ------------------ (DD.DDDDDD) Degrees
37° 2.872'N 113° 45.248'W ----------------- (DD MM.MMM) Degrees Minutes
37° 2'52.32"N 113°45'14.88"W -------------- (DD MM SS.SS) Degrees Minutes Seconds

While you're looking at this point, tilt the view in Google Earth and check out how steep the road is at this point. Incredible! ! !

One of my Grand Rally stages bypasses this strange point. Anyone know why I decided to not to include it in the route?
I think I've got it, but one more question: do you have to make those changes in my GE and then RN imports them when I open it and it access GE on my machine? Otherwise I don't see where i can change settings in the GE that RN is using.

As for the question: is it not that spectacular in person? That road that runs off to the left of the climb is a two track, but it looks like the sidehill angle would cause a 4 wheeled vehicle to roll.

Or, does the trail at the top not come down the other side?