View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Day 3

Day 3: Pontarlier, France to Meiringen, Switzerland

The third day straight of rain! Despite this, waking up I was stoked... we'd be heading into the Alps.

A late start to the morning at 9:30am means were almost last to leave... the heavy weather makes it far too easy to sleep in later than planned.

Roadside stop.

Low lying clouds wrap the hills.

The lake of Neuchatel in the distance.

Arriving at a restaurant in Neauchatel we second guessed if we were actually in Switzerland or still France. When we saw the prices on the menu we got the clarity we needed... Switzerland it was.

Docks at Neuchatel.

Riding along the Swiss Countryside.

I was spoiled with the heated grips... Megan on the other hand wasn't so lucky. A brief stop to warm up.

The rugged Swiss mountains I'd seen in so many pictures over the years were within view for the first time.

Loving the picturesque scenery... rich green grass with snow tipped mountains above.

The rain would keep going strong as we travelled through the town of Interlaken (what we'd learn was Switzerland's #1 tourist destination). We'd planned to get through a mountain pass or two still today, but with the miserable weather, wet clothing, and poor scene visibility - with the Alps being the most anticipated part of our trip - we decided to end the day sooner and dry up at a hotel.

As we stop in town, a kind old British man walking by sees the bike with UK plates and chats up a storm. He's been visiting the alps for the last 50 years. Our original plan was to take Sustenpass the next day, but he insisted on Grimsel to Furka instead. With 50 years knowledge of the Alps it was an easy change of plans - Grimsel to Furka it would be.

Arriving at the hotel in Meiringen (no surprise - the birthplace of meringue) just outside of Interlaken, we had our first dinner at a regular hour.

Tomorrow would be the much anticipated ride through the Alps to Italy... only the conditions wouldn't be quite like we'd expected!

Day 3 riding video:

Krime screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 11:25 AM
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote