OK, I've been busy the last two months, but now time to address this issue. I was planning to ask Jim about cleaning the threads when I came across The Other JC
's post about his problems. That is just the kind of thing that I'd expect to happen to me (inexperienced klutz that I am ...). Anyway ....
Jim, Mike, et al,
So what liquid do you clean the threads with? Does it dissolve the sealant?
Is acetone a good or bad choice?
How do you apply it? Would an old toothbrush work?
And what happens if 'particles' of the old sealant fall in/down the hole?
Should the threads be dry before inserting the QD?
What's a 'tacky' test? and about how long does it take to get tacky?
Then after all is installed, wait 24 hours before turning it over?
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
There will be fuel floating in the intake, and some of the sealant will mix with it.
Remove the fuel and clean the sealant. I used an old acid brush cut tight and shortened the handle to clean it.
Originally Posted by Mike Figielski
First, did you thoroughly clean out all gas from the threaded hole in the flange and clean the threads with carb cleaner or the like? This is important. Then you need to coat the threads with the sealant and allow it to become tacky before threading the fitting into the flange. After that let it set up for 24 hours before exposing it to gas or running the bike.
The other thing to check is if you actually have cracks running down into the threads on the flange. If so you may need to use a heavier duty sealant. Either Permatex 56521 or even JB weld. If you run out of the sealnt we provided the Permatex is a good alternative. Hope this helps,
Originally Posted by The Other JC
So what am I doing wrong?
The day after installing the flange clamp and metal quick disconnect kit, I went out for a spin. Upon returning there was the usual waft of petrol. I checked out the newly fitted items to see a pool of petrol had collected in the small well. At least 5-6 tablespoons worth of fuel. Holy S**T was my first, second, and third thoughts.
Yesterday I remove the quick disconnect kit again, not so much sealant as I remember putting in around the threads. My thinking is that I left some old residue sealant that cleaned the thread as it went in maybe.
So I did a really thorough job again, getting it very clean, double checking.
Definitely put plenty of sealant this time, winding it in and out to check coverage. Finally happy gently applying final pressure.
Today I look and it seems petrol is again seeping out, without even having ridden the bike again.
You can see the slight yellow dis-colour highlighted, it goes half way round the flange.
I am pretty sure it will leak petrol out again.
The sealant does not seem anywhere near setting. It seemed very liquified coming out the little packet. It is also very hot here at the moment (mid 90s fahrenheit, mid 30 celcius). Not sure if that would be effecting this fix.
I am running out of the sealant!!