View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #516
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Tiger 800XC.

Nice bike in every way except for the ridiculously close transmission ratios. The engine had such linear power. Silly to have such a tall 1st gear and short 6th gear on an adventure bike. It's like they added stroke and completely forgot that ADV riders might like something other than a track day tranny. Made it sound too busy at highway speeds.

Had they given it better gear ratios, one might be able to get decent fuel economy out of it.

I recall it feeling a bit top heavy too. Especially compared to the S10 I test rode.
I test rode it and remember having a similar reaction - close gearbox and surprisingly top-heavy. I also thought that the engine wasn't as charismatic as the triple engines in the Street and Speed triple - bit of a disappointment. Not a bad motorcycle per se - but not as exiting as I had expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
KTM 990ADV. Test rode my boss's bike, after lusting after it for years. Whoa. The ergos were wrong, the controls (except the clutch) seemed wooden, and the motor was less exciting then my XR. It felt like sitting on top of a beautifully chiseled wedge of granite. Pretty, solid, and oddly cold..
The secret with the 990 Adv is to ride it like you stole it and not like if you borrowed it from your boss!

If you ride it slow and with any kind of hesitation you won't get the bike - it's not a tourer. Ridden like that you will start to wonder why you're not riding a BMW RT1200 instead.

You have to manhandle it - grab a fistful of throttle, brake hard and let the front forks dive, stand on the pegs, let the rear slide, fire it off towards the horizon and trust that the chassi is good enough to soak up whatever comes it's way.

The 990 Adv has the best off-road chassi in it's class - you have to really ride it and push it to understand how good it is.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote