View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #345
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Tuareg Rally - Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #317 Jean-Luc Solans - Team IYSK Wines

On his arrival at the bivouac hotel in Gafsa on the evening of the second day, I asked Jean-Luc how his rally had progressed since leaving the dunes of Douz.

“It really was like night and day” he begins “I was so happy to get on the sort of terrain I knew, and that suits my bike better - the 690 is a big bike [compared to many on the rally], and to be able to stretch it’s legs and just keep moving was a revelation” he exclaims “Rather than having to keep picking it up the whole time... it was a huge pleasure!”

He continues: “As the day went on I got more and more confident - I even started to overtake a few slower riders!” he says with a smile. “It was much more what I had expected from a rally... the day was much longer, but at the end I was much less tired.”

Jean-Luc described how much of the second day’s rally route reminded him of where he has ridden in the USA: “The terrain was similar to that which you can find in southern California, or Arizona or Baja Mexico... “There were many changes of scenery throughout the day - and that is the thing I like about riding. The one thing we don’t have is the Chott (dry lake plateau) which was huge fun to race across.”

“I felt confident that my navigation skills also improved throughout the day, and I am now looking forward to the rest of the rally - even though I understand there are more dunes tomorrow”
he sighs.

Despite the 3rd day/stage timing being cancelled, Jean-Luc still elected to ride the rally route alongside his IYSK Wine team-mate Dirk Kessler “We had a very enjoyable day - I’m here to ride, and to gain as much experience as I can” he says “The first day made question what I was doing here, but today it was a relief to realise I was not so out of my element after all.”

Stage result: day 2/7: 5th Moto Amateur

Overall position: day 2/7: 12th Moto Amateur

Photo:

Links: www.ifyouseekaywines.com
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote