View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #139
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
All good points but I now realize the real issue is the bronze has been almost completely worn off the face of the washer (I can see traces of it in the cold light of day). This is probably a blessing in disguise - I was wondering why the flywheel mating surface wasn't scored. Will definitely need a new thrust washer and will try to figure out the thickness calculation tonight - I understand they come in three thicknesses.

Also, I am wondering if I put the RMS in far enough - left it out about 1mm and maybe that's why the crank was binding when I torqued the flywheel bolts. Don't worry, will definitely buy new bolts.

Sorry if this is a bit tedious - it's all been covered in ADV many times, I'm sure. This stuff is nerve racking for hobbyists like me.
Put the seal back and leave it 1 mm proud like you did before. Mark up the face of the seal (that faces the flywheel) with a sharpie marker. Put flywheel on and gradually tighten the bolts until it just binds. Then turn it around a couple of times and take it off. See if the marks on the seal face are still there.

The thrust washer would need to be massively worn to be bad. I would ignore surface coloring. Lot of times parts have a thin plating to prevent corrosion in the warehouse. In this case the color denotes the size. Put it back, put everything together, torque the flywheel (use the old bolts) and check the crank endfloat. If it is good, just build the fool thing. Replace the flywheel bolts if you want. Personally I wouldn't, they haven't been under torque long enough to matter. But it won't hurt a bit.

If the crank end float isn't good, then measure what you got, take it apart, measure your thrust washer and you know what to buy.

I should add, a thrust washer is monolithic. Same material all the way through. it's not like there is some thin layer of bronze. Bronze washers are sintered---made of pressed powder. They are porous and hold oil. That's why you use bronze. A Babbit bearing is a little different. You may have a thick layer of the babbit metal on a backer of a different material. But they don't have to be made that way. The thing you got does not look like sintered bronze and the application is inappropriate for a babbit bearing. In fact it's inappropriate for any type of bearing. It's pinned, remember? Try a magnet on it yet?. If it sticks you got a steel spacer.

The thrust washers are designated green (on the inside) and red, on the outside. The other sizes are different colors.

Plaka screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:49 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote