View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #143
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Put the seal back and leave it 1 mm proud like you did before. Mark up the face of the seal (that faces the flywheel) with a sharpie marker. Put flywheel on and gradually tighten the bolts until it just binds. Then turn it around a couple of times and take it off. See if the marks on the seal face are still there.

The thrust washer would need to be massively worn to be bad. I would ignore surface coloring. Lot of times parts have a thin plating to prevent corrosion in the warehouse. In this case the color denotes the size. Put it back, put everything together, torque the flywheel (use the old bolts) and check the crank endfloat. If it is good, just build the fool thing. Replace the flywheel bolts if you want. Personally I wouldn't, they haven't been under torque long enough to matter. But it won't hurt a bit.

If the crank end float isn't good, then measure what you got, take it apart, measure your thrust washer and you know what to buy.

I should add, a thrust washer is monolithic. Same material all the way through. it's not like there is some thin layer of bronze. Bronze washers are sintered---made of pressed powder. They are porous and hold oil. That's why you use bronze. A Babbit bearing is a little different. You may have a thick layer of the babbit metal on a backer of a different material. But they don't have to be made that way. The thing you got does not look like sintered bronze and the application is inappropriate for a babbit bearing. In fact it's inappropriate for any type of bearing. It's pinned, remember? Try a magnet on it yet?. If it sticks you got a steel spacer.

The thrust washers are designated green (on the inside) and red, on the outside. The other sizes are different colors.
That thrust washer is coming apart for some reason. The thing he has doesn't look like bronze because it's all been worn off somehow. I have never seen anything like it so I could only guess as to how. I bet it isn't through coming apart either. I wouldn't use it unless you don't mind a bunch of extra metal floating around in your engine. Besides, when you see one that isn't coming apart and has been worn down and worn out, you will see that it is toast. The bronze colored bearing surface of the thrust washer does not denote the size. I don't think they are color coded. Why would the inside and outside washers be color coded green and red? They are the same part. Inappropriately pinned? Don't tell that to our front main bearings!

Sorry but our thrust washers are not monolithic. They ARE made out of two different metals. The one photoed above has just had one of the metals worn away. Sure, there is enough steel there for them to attract a magnet even when new but . . . .

supershaft screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 10:53 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote