View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thumb 7 days in Colombia 2 up

Ok Haroon. I read your lovely website and I have some better suggestions for two up on a big bike. By the way I have been riding two up on a 650 with no problems but I travel really light.
1. Villa de Leyva- is a really attractive colonial town about 4 hours east of Bogota. There are two ways to get there. The northern route crosses mountains with some great twisties. There are hot springs, an observatory and lots of good restaurants and shopping.
2. Salento- is everyones favorite. The roads are easy, there are great hiking trails, horseback adventures and great scenery. It is possible to ride into Salento directly from Ibague. I will test this out before you arrive. I think it will be a well-packed dirt road through semi-remote mountains. I suggest you stay at La Serrana or Salento Real(really nice)
3.San Gil- A fast growing mountain town about 5 hours east of Bogota. It has all tourist infrastructure, adventure sports, a great swimming hole, micro brew beer and lots of side roads to explore quaint villages such as Charala, Barichara. Stay at Hotel Abril (cheap, clean perfect bike parking and location).

Distances: Like anyplace there are great advantages to departing very early in the morning. Colombians are a bit late to rise and you can get a great deal further each day by leaving early. I think 350 km makes a nice day if you depart early and quit early. If you leave at 9 AM and ride till 5PM youll be lucky to get 275km. I've been adding 50% to the time Google maps issues for a given route. Try to leave and reenter Bogota on Sunday morning or before 7AM.
Example Bogota- Armenia
depart 5:30 AM 6 hrs. depart 8AM 9hrs.
Heres an Idea of a route. It has about 35 hrs of riding and should allow a day off the bike. Have fun!
http://goo.gl/maps/vMbnd
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote