View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #372
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,002
The Mojave Trail

BARSTOW-MOJAVE TRAIL-LAUGLIN NEVADA

for years, i've heard of the MOJAVE TRAIL and really had no interest because of the difficulty level. i hate sand. anyway, it's not far from home, why not. worst case, turn around and go home.

this ride had been planned a few times for a span of 2 months, but we could not get the planets to aligned themselves. the end of winter is already around the corner, and we have to make this happen.

finally a date was set - march 9 and 10....and glad to see 5 riders made a solid commitment plus a rider coming from vegas to join us part of the trail. later in the week, a blessing from the sky came as a rain ...that pretty much sealed the deal. the damp sand on both days was a big plus on traction.

no, i won't do this ride solo or just with a partner. the place is unfamiliar and easy to get lost, the desert is not forgiving, fuel is critical, the terrain is challenging, and to say the least, the total miles is about 400. we are lucky, we found a good rider (lior) who is familiar with the area and offered to lead the ride.

the plan was to truck to barstow. stage the ride from there, take the dirt route to afton canyon then to kelbaker.

on the antelope freeway, the drive up and a reminder winter is still here

typical socal winter sport...skiing and desert dirt bike riding

yours?

along the 14

approaching the town of mojave

staying here friday night
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote