Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 View Post
Just for an update the xt was sold, went to another dealer & that xt was sold as well. Went to check out some different bikes the other day & now leaning toward the Dr 650. I thought it would be too tall but I could get the balls of my feet on the ground plus their is a lower factory setting that will drop it another 1.5 inches. Should put me right where I need to be. The only mods I plan on doing right off the bat is a better seat because the factory feels like plywood & the other is a rear rack. My 2 friends think as I progres in my off road skills their will be plenty of bike left. While they think I would get bored with a 250 & looking for a more powerful bike in a year. Both these guys have ridden on & off road for years & know me well. The other thing is I can get a new 2012 Dr650 for $4,800 a few hundred more then the xt 250 or the crf250l. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad idea? From what I have learned about the Dr 650 from this sight, it sounds like a great bike & bulletproof.
I usually suggest buying used, but that sounds like a great deal on a new DR if they approve the 0% financing too. Install some armor...aluminum skid, handguards, and sidecase covers.

Rather than lower the suspension, consider putting a Seat Concepts low kit on a used seatpan. It'll improve butt comfort, as well as allow you to touch the ground more securely, and it won't reduce your ground clearance or suspension travel. The DR already has a lower seat than many 250s. It's a bit heavy, but that can be reduced quite a bit with a '01-'02 GSXR 1000 40F0 titanium muffler, a lithium battery, a modestly-larger plastic tank, better mirrors, aluminum handlebars, a DR250 tail/brake light, an aluminum rear fender eliminator, lighter signals, lighter 520 14/42 sprockets/chain/retainer, and with removal of stuff you're not necessarily using (helmet lock, passenger pegs, bar-end weights, rear grab bars, upper chain-roller, chain guide, airbox lid/top, etc.). The 14/42 sprockets will also make it feel more peppy and nimble than stock.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 11:21 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote