View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #224
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Picking a Bike for the Alcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
Honestly, I will time keep this ride but I'm doing this ride solely for enjoyment, I don't really care where I finish
To me the event was so unique that I was compelled to buy a motorcycle specifically for it, but would also serve my dreams of riding the long trail.

I read about 2006 Alcan5000 first in 2004 when I found this site. I entered the event just before Xmas. Then I went bike shopping. By February I had a 2004 leftover KTM 950 in my barn with all the goodies required for time keeping and travel.

I must say, that was the best motorcycle purchase ever for me, and I pretty much used it up. I just sold it last summer. That bike took me all over the continent many many times, including two Alcan5000s and four MotoGP's. 1000's of miles of dirt roads in the high deserts around four corners and similar paths in the northern plains. Northern Maine timber lands too.

I would have bought another, but much of the riding I do today has more technical sections and I needed I bike I could pick up out of the mud easier. So I have 300lb motorcycles now.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote