View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Day 5

Day 5: The Alps - Bellano, Italy to Davos, Swtizerland

It's the fifth day and we wake up to sun for the first time on the trip!

The morning view during breakfast.

Leaving Villa Anita - our favourite stay so far.

We spent the morning visiting nearby Varenna - a beautiful spot the pizzeria owners had recommended the night before.

Waiting for lunch by the lake.

Visiting the beach in 20+ degree weather felt almost surreal coming from the freezing mountains of Switzerland the day before.

After filling the tank in Bormio, we start up the mountain towards Stelvio - looking back at the road as it wrapped along the mountainside.

Heading higher up, the temperate drops and we change into our rain gear for added wind protection.

Looking up at the climb ahead... ears popping constantly with the changing altitude.

Joining the many riders as we arrive at Stelvio Pass a short while later.

Another GS entering the summit - I've never seen so many GS's in one place before.

The Stelvio summit.

A short while down Stelvio we stop for the view.

15 minutes later still heading downhill - hairpin to hairpin - with no sight of the bottom in view.

Feeling small in the massive mountains.

Riders carving through the pass.

A look up at Stelvio towards the summit. We were heading back up the way we came, the sun was getting low and there was lots more riding still ahead. Hours seemed to go by like minutes on days like this.

Leaving Stelvio we hit the Umbrail pass, which was now back in Switzerland, just bordering Italy. This section was one of - if not THE - most fun road I've ever ridden (starting at 5:54 in the video below). Set in a beautiful Swiss landscape, these perfect twisties with changing elevations, went on for a good while. The only vehicles I passed in this section of the run was a pack of 8 oncoming GS 1200s.

From here we would ride many more mountain passes - each one completely different than the next. The sun was setting and before we knew it we'd be riding through the night into Davos - the temperature dropping well below freezing.

Yesterday and today had been the best two days of riding I'd ever had. We would be leaving the Alps the next morning as we headed for Germany. The days were going by too quickly - I wished I had more time to explore the Alps!

Day 5 riding video:
Another incredible ride through Stelvio pass and many other Italian and Swiss mountain passes!

Krime screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 12:30 PM
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote