Originally Posted by NLS
Ok what I have "collected" from various sources...
1) It looks better when on sidestand. (BMW comment)
2) It is now inline with other modern BMW (K1300/K1600). (my comment, possibly simplifies manufacturing lines)
3) Actually the oposite of what you say. Indeed you can more easily find 3rd party exhausts as the exhaust is not in the "proper" side as most bikes. (my comment) BMW specialized companies already adapted so this is a non-issue.
4) You won't burn when moving the bike. (so true!) (BMW comment)
5) Helps really differentiating this model with previous gen and they wanted that. (my comment)
I'll give you another. I strongly prefer to have my must frequently used box on the same side that I mount the bike. That box should also be the largest box. One the old generation, the smaller box is on the left side and that drives me nuts. I load a laptop computer every day and since I mount it from the left, I have to cross behind the bike to load it up. It is a small annoyance that is gone by moving the exhaust to the right.