View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #7127
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Am considering trying to add an oil cooler to my '86 while I have the motor out. Has anyone tried or heard of fitting a later model XR400 cooler? Don't really know the dimensions but read on Thumper Talk of one or two xl600 owners who have done it but gave no real description of how.
Wondering how much cooling it would provide as it don't look very big!
Read about using coolers from JC Whitney etc. but at 11" X 6" X 3/4" might be a mission to fit in.
Interesting discussion maybe?
I put an XR400 cooler on my XL600. I had to weld mounts on the steering head to hold it in place, and get a little creative with braided lines and AN fittings but it wasn't too horrible to do as I remember. If you are interested I can send pics and try to revive my memory as to the details. The biggest problem was the choice of fittings and layout, but it worked out once I started mounting things. It seemed impossible to do with the stainless braided lines till I discovered a tool to put the fittings on.

I have a temp dipstick and it seemed to drop my temps about 50 degrees on a hot summer day. There was also the advantage of extra oil capacity provided by the lines and cooler.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote