View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #143
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
santa cruz, bolivia

friday, march 15, 2013

santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

a bit of a gap since my last post. this was on purpose to help you realize how addicted you are to this continuing adventure.

yesterday was a good day for my tiger. turns out that there is a full-blown, brand new triumph dealer and service location right here in santa cruz, bolivia - 5 minutes from my hotel! today, i was their second foreign customer ever. (first would have been better, but a brazilian beat me to it.)

window, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i can't tell you how happy i was when michi (the service tech) and eduardo (the owner) pulled up to the hotel yesterday to gather me and the bike. i followed them to a veritable motorcycle wet-dream - campo motors triumph of bolivia. it is bolivia's first official triumph dealer. interesting that when i called triumph USA approximately one week ago from san pedro de atacama, chile and in distress asked - "where is the closest triumph authorized service technician?" - they told me, "only in são paulo, brazil." i guess the wheels of change are slow moving in big companies.

michi and eduardo, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

first the tiger got a bath. i was happy to help out.

washing the beast, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

next, michi got to work diagnosing the problems that i wrote about in the last post. we hooked the bike up to the triumph diagnosis software. turns out that the issue was that the throttles were imbalanced. a check of the idle stepper motor proved that it was functioning fine. remember when i said i got a bad tank of gas in mendoza? i didn't write about it, as it was only a blip on the radar, but it turns out that most likely, the computer adjusted the throttles to account for the bad gas, and then they never really came back into sync again. this is the current assessment.

michi, technician with computer, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

computer analysis, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

me and michi, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

michi is from a motorcycle technician family here in santa cruz. he grew up working on bikes. his brother is the tech at the ducati dealer right down the street. he attended certification for triumph in argentina, and has been helping prepare the new dealership with eduardo.

we also changed the air filter (it was filthy), the oil and filter (because i didn't have a filter last time it was changed in mendoza), swapped out the most recent broken turn signal with another (it will break again in a week), adjusted the clutch lever (my clutch is fine, it just needed some slack in the line), and cut the end off a 3 liter coca cola bottle that fit perfectly over my tent tube (shade-tree mechanics at its finest.)

i was treated to lunch by eduardo mid day, because we were working on the bike from 9am to almost 8pm - frankly, i was treated like royalty the entire day by everyone who works at campo motors. eduardo's entrepreneurialism is inspiring and admirable. he saw an opportunity in the lack of a triumph dealer in the region, and he took action and made it happen. i think his investment is going to pay off handsomely.

en la frente, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

service entrance, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

eduardo, owner, campo motors triumph dealer, santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

last night, i was invited to meet up with moto club santa cruz, a group of about 50 guys who have been meeting and motorcycling together for 15 years. their space was pretty awesome. together, they purchased land, constructed a club house, built a pool. it is the ultimate man cave. makes me wonder why i don't have this same thing in oregon. maybe when i get back, i'll get started on that.

not the last supper, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

dudes and their toys, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

pool of the dudes, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

they meet there a couple of times a week. once on wednesday or thursday, after riding enduros in the sand surrounding santa cruz on saturday, and then again on sunday with the families.

chow time, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

dudes and their tree house, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i handed out my postcards to the group, was treated to a tasty dinner, and had a great time talking to everyone about my adventure and my travels. they are a super nice bunch of dudes.

dudes and the gringo, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

dudes and their games, moto club santa cruz, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i'd like to take a moment to thank my hostess here in santa cruz - i met sylvia in portland over a year ago at a salsa club in portland. she was visiting relatives in the area, and happened to be out dancing the same night i was. at the time, i told her about the south america trip i was planning, and she said that she was from santa cruz.

arriving here on tuesday, she had already arranged for my stay at los tojibos hotel, santa cruz's first 5-star hotel. she treated me to an amazing birthday dinner at an ajacent asian-fusion restaurant that night. later, she connected me with her toyota mechanic (thank you luis!) who told me about the triupmh dealer. she also told the santa cruz moto club about my arrival which lead to my being invited to hang out with them.

slyvia, in general, has made me feel at home, away from home. like family. this is a valuable commodity when traveling for this duration of time.

in addition to her elegant urban essence, she is also a cane farmer, cattle rancher, mother of two great kids, and a triathele in training. today, after her morning swim training, she toured me around her suger cane farm which lies about 30 minute north of santa cruz in montero, bolivia. she met there with her talented team to asses the crop and plan for the harvest that is coming up soon. it was interesting to see her at work, and kick around in the mud for a while. sylvia - thank you for everything!

please, no more food by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sylvia, cane farmer extraordinaire, arcoiris farm, montero, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

discussing cane yield, arcoiris farm, montero, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

plan of action, arcoiris farm, montero, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

arcoiris farm, montero, bolivia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 09:48 AM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote