View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #7129
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I put an XR400 cooler on my XL600. I had to weld mounts on the steering head to hold it in place, and get a little creative with braided lines and AN fittings but it wasn't too horrible to do as I remember. If you are interested I can send pics and try to revive my memory as to the details. The biggest problem was the choice of fittings and layout, but it worked out once I started mounting things. It seemed impossible to do with the stainless braided lines till I discovered a tool to put the fittings on.

I have a temp dipstick and it seemed to drop my temps about 50 degrees on a hot summer day. There was also the advantage of extra oil capacity provided by the lines and cooler.
Thanks Dave, Would appreciate that very much. The xr400 cooler is about $96us on partzilla but i'll see if I can maybe get a used one here but am not holding my breath! I read that these bikes tend run pretty hot so any cooling has got to be good and as I replied to Christian this bike owes me big time.
Am having a ball doing the wrenching, just waiting on some gaskets b4 the final assembly.

M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote