View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #69
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan View Post
I see online that the Crosstrek XV has a tow rating of 750 lbs/1500 lbs with trailer brakes, but the regular Impreza is not rated for towing.

If the XV is just a lifted Impreza, why the difference in tow rating? HakWife will be looking to replace her manual transmission 2002 Forester (bought new) in the next year, and the manual transmission Impreza is looking like a likely candidate...except I'd like to have the ability to occasionally tow a small trailer, like browneye
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking that there's no listed rating because Subaru might not offer a hitch for the base Impreza.

I had a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport, and I installed the Subaru hitch package on it, that I purchased from the dealer (one nice thing about Subarus is that their parts all come with very easy to follow instructions).

In 2008, when we traded it on the Forester we still have, I noticed that the new (at the time) rounded body Impreza's didn't even have a hitch listed as an option, and when I looked at the back end, it seemed that it would be very difficult to install any kind of a hitch without having to somehow mangle the bumper. Curt or some other company probably made one, (or maybe Subaru ended up doing so later), but it certainly was not evident. It was actually one of the reasons we ended up getting the Forester instead.

With the increased ground clearance of the Crosstrek, it's probably easier to add the hitch.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote