View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #54
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
2nd time with the made in China business...

Wind, I wonder if a well-tuned fairing/shield could increase your distance? By that I mean could those hand guards and mirrors sticking up there measurably cut into your mileage, or even a shield if it isn't shaped correctly? I've seen wind tunnel tests on bikes, wonder how much more severely a battery drops due to pushing through the wind than an IC?

Love the bike, would do it in a minute if the kid was out of college.
I am sure the DS styling affects wind drag. I thought that the windshield would help along with the hand guards but I am not sure. On 200s and 250s that I have owned in the past adding a small windscreen has aided their little motors to power me up a local 1000' hill and reach full speed. In other words, with little power the windshield has actually aided top speed.

I should add that I ride up and down hills on my commute and Zero's literature indicates that hills decrease range so if you live in a flat area you may do better than my range numbers... here in Idaho we have hills and mountains.

I also weigh about 190 lbs with full riding gear on so if you are lighter range will be better and if you are heavier range will be less.

The problem with motorcycle wind drag is the human form that wants to sit on the bike with some form of comfort. Some wind screens may be better than the Zero summer screen which I am using now. I will try it sans shield in the warmer months and see if it makes any difference.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote