View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #56
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
"Normal" motor design places the windings (the heat-producing part of a motor) on the outside and the rotor on the inside. I don't see how this design is different or inside-out. It's easy to make claims like this:

when they don't supply complete specs (including weight) of their motor.
Good points Strongbad....here is some more detail from Motorcyclist Magazine on the new 2013 motor:

"To that end, Askenazi and his team have re-engineered the range by installing an all-new Z-Force electric motor created in-house by Canadian designer Ryan Biffard, and funded by a $900,000 grant secured from the California Energy Commission. This compact, brushless motor is an “inside-out” design with the windings encircling permanent magnets attached to the rotor. The windings, which carry the electric current and get hot in use, can then be placed on the periphery where they’re easier to cool—no fans or liquid-cooling circuits required."

See the whole article here.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...#ixzz2NirrOgdu

If you look at pics of the 2012 motor there is still a lot of metal around the windings that will keep the heat trapped in. You can't see where the windings are in the 2013 motor as it is fully sealed and wrapped in an Aluminum heat sink.

I imagine that Zero is protective of some of their technology in regards to Battery sourcing, management, and motor design and specs. I don't expect that they would spill all of the details as this is their competitive advantage.

And look at that! Not only are there Chinese parts, but the motor engineer is Canadian!
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote