View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #224
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
All I can tell you is the Triumph guy at the NYC show said they would not bring it here because they didn't want to "dilute" sales of the other new Tiger models. He was busy trying to steer everyone towards the new Trophy, though, so maybe that was part of it?
I don't really see this model as competing with anything else in their line myself, unless maybe the 800 roadie, and I see those bikes appealing to guys younger than myself. I haven't ridden any of the new 800 or 1200 triples, so I can't compare, but the Sprint I test rode for a friend that had a 1050 was the smoothest piece of machinery that I have ever seen. I was doing 85 MPH in places I normally do 65 MPH, and was absolutely not aware of it until I glanced at the speedometer. Really is that smooth, and this new Tiger should be even better for me, because of the more upright seating position. Let's face it, most everyone who loves their bike wouldn't complain if it had "just a little more" power. I don't think that will be an issue with this one.
Fwiw, I think it's a cultural thing.

In Europe, riders will come from 1000cc sports to bikes like the Speed Trip, Tiger, KTM SMT, Ducati Hypermotards/Monster 1100s.

They are looking for the thrills of a litre bike, with a bit more comfort.

USA riders seem to come from cruisers, so they are looking for good-enough comfort, but not that much more performance.

It's a subtle distinction, I admit (and of course over-generalised, this being a forum an' all), but that's my impression.

Or, to put it another way, no-one in the UK/Europe would call a BMW R1200T a sports-touring bike, or a Kawasaki 650R a sports bike, but americans have no trouble with that nomenclature.

(The 1200RT is a tourer, the 650R is a commuter..)
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 03:04 PM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote