Originally Posted by Yam2Yam2
Well, I couldn't wait, I went for a short ride. I decided that the packing was too quiet, so I clipped off 4" length from the header pipe end, and I took out 6" width from the interior. This makes the idle louder, and low-speed riding isn't whisper-quiet, but still suitable for neighborhood riding. I'm really loving the increased torque just above idle with the megabomb header.
Unfortunately, even with the additional removal, top speed stuck at 79 mph in my quick test. At speed, the muffler is much quieter, and very smooth. So even more material could be removed. At this point, I think I'll try using a square piece of hardware cloth, rather than triangular, to give two to three wraps extending the length of the muffler, with an open space inside for uninterrupted flow.
Thanks a lot man!! Please keep up the testing and the improvement!
I believe you're very close to find the sweet spot where both the sound and the performance loss is optimal! and when you found it please make a detailed step by step instructions with pictures so that we newbies can implement it too