gymply
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Waiting for spring in Michigan
Anyone changed Road King handle bars?
Nice looking King! Congrats.

Changing bars was one of the first mods I did to my new 2012 FLHR. The stockers were too short with not enough pullback for me. The options are endless, and I'm sure you will find something that fits. I ended up going with a set of 10-inch mini apes (WO515 from http://www.wild1inc.com/). They are a couple of inches taller and three inches more pullback than stock bars. I was able to use the stock brake line and clutch cable but had to add about 11 inches to the handlebar switch wiring. The wires on the throttle by wire unit were long enough to not need any extensions. All the handlebar/throttle wiring has connectors in the headlight nacelle which is convenient. You should not need to pull the gas tank, but I did because I was also installing a GPS mount and ran the power wiring direct to the battery. The worst part about the job was pulling the right side switch wires and throttle wires simultaneously. The throttle wiring comes into the bars from the end and merges with the switch wiring coming in from the hole drilled at the switch housing location. It makes for a pretty big bundle. Using a silicone type lube made the bundle fairly easy to pull. Good luck!
'14 FZ-09
gymply is offline   Reply With Quote