View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #4196
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Screens

The buffeting annoyed the hell out of me with the standard screen, I'm 6'1"... Here's what I've done...

Standard screen:

I purchased one of the OTR tall screens, 66euro ($88aus) + delivery:
http://www.off-the-road.de/en/XT-660...Tenere-08.html
The buffeting wasn't as bad, and it was ok with the visor down... but the wind off the top of the screen hit me right across the eyes, I ride with the visor up most the time so this was a pain, the wind caught under the visor.... Also, in rough stuff I didn't like how close the top of it got to my face at times, and how it distorted my view of the track ahead: (my knees are stuffed so I ride seated most the time)

The tall screen may suit some people, just not me... I took it off after 1 ride....

I'm now running the standard screen with 70mm trimmed off the top, it's a lot better for me, the wind hits just under the helmet, my head is in reasonably clean air... It could probably do with having a little more cut off, but I think it will look terrible any shorter... This thread needs more pics, so here's a heap with the cut down screen

To cut it down I set some calipers to 70mm and scribed a line across 70mm down from the top edge, then scribed lines out to the edge at an angle that looked ok, basically following the angle of the line across the middle so I could cut straight across without having to change direction.... To cut it off I used an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting wheel, I stopped a bit long in a couple of spots and the plastic melted and bubbled up a bit, it was easy enough to clean up with a file and some sand paper... I polished the cut edge with some toothpaste on a rag... Total time to do it was about 15 mins...

:)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:10 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote