View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #3808
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
True that there are no *through* dirt roads open to motor vehicles, but the last mile or so of upper China Grade (up to Johansen Road at the Boy Scout camp sign) and White House Canyon/Creek (accessed from Hwy 1) are both dirt and open to the public (at least to the point where they are each posted closed).

Upper Gazos Creek (up to Sandy Point) is also fun (but it's mostly broken pavement) when it is seasonally open.

None of these are super exciting in themselves, but I like to head up them occasionally for some variety on a larger SC mtns ride.

Big Basin Brochure (map at bottom): http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/540/fi...Layout2013.pdf
I had totally forgotten about the stretch of China Grade to the B.S. camp, though, how long is that, maybe a mile? A few years ago a friend and I rode into the B.S. camp, when nothing was going on; resident caretaker comes out to greet us / stop us; we're older than him, we strike up a pleasant conversation, ask if we could just tour the grounds on the bikes, caretaker looks us over, says "Sure." The scouts have a nice camp there. Years ago I used to take a picnic lunch, pull off on the side of the dirt China Grade road, hardly saw anyone the times I'd go there.

I've never seen Upper Gazos Creek open, just bad luck on my part, I guess.

But, I don't believe either of these roads are actually inside the confines of the park?

Lex