View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
ST4s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Shorai not waterproof

From Shorai "the battery is not waterproof". I asked this because of the low battery mounting position and vulnerability to being submerged. The little special charge/balance port is susceptible to water intrusion. Shorai suggested I seal the port with silicon grease around the charge cable. Not exactly confidence inspiring. As to cold weather starting if 48F is cold then we have other problems. The thing would not crank in the AM @ 48F just did the reboot thing numerous times. Again that same day after work 50+F failed to crank on the first try. This is the third battery from Shorai and I am on the third charger. From Shorai "we have had some chip problems with our chargers", but they were giving me a good faith replacement battery even though their charger damaged the battery!! To holding a charge for a long time that may be so but not in any bike with a parasitic draw. Take for instance a clock. My bike has 0.008A draw with the alarm activated, 0.006 with just the clock, and that will kill the battery within several weeks.

I am happy for all who have not had starting or water immersion problems with the Shorai battery but for my money the technology is not ready for prime time.

Cheers
ST4s is offline   Reply With Quote